Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Revolution will not be televised

Gil Scott-Heron has just recently come into music collection. I'm sure everyone at some point has heard The Revolution Will Not Be Televised which I think was the piece that really gave Scott-Heron a name.
I heard his latest album I'm New Here playing at work a little while back, and without knowing who it was or what it was about - I was completely captured by it. He just has this captivating voice and phrasing of his words.

I would say his latest album is like nothing I've really heard before. A dark and beautiful mix of spoken work, blues, beats and electronica. I'm waiting in on an copy from a record shop in the city but its been on back order for a few weeks now, and they've got no idea when it might come in.

I did by chance one day a few weeks ago find an LP of The Revolution Will Not Be Televised in a stack of records at a shop I was visiting for the first time. And I had to buy it. A good place to start, and I know I'll have to hunt down the rest of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment